Saturday, April 30, 2011

Damn That Was A Quick Four Years

I used to think I would never go to college.  In high school I always tried to hide that I was smart, like it was an insult or something.  It was cool not to care.  I could not see the finish line.  I remember my Senior year, after I got hurt playing football I just had no reason to go to school anymore, so I stopped.  Since I had so much attendance built up from the season, I could basically stop going to school.  I picked up a job at UPS and stopped doing any school work.  I really didn't think I had a future in college.  I didn't believe that I was smart enough.  Working at UPS made me change my mind.  There was a man that I met there that helped me change my mind.  He showed me that my future was not in a factory.  I shouldn't give up so easily.  He had made the decision at a young age to work instead of going to college.  He regretted that decision everyday.  His influence and another life changing moment made me chose to go to college.  I realized that I was smart and knew that I just needed to put forth the effort.  It has been four years since then and I can barely recognize the person I am today.  I wish I could have gone back in time and talked some sense into myself.  I am happy where I am today.  Although I'm sad I'm graduating, I know it makes my parents proud.  In the end, it was not only about changing myself, but becoming the person that my parents wanted me to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment